One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Wednesday, October 7, 2009

Dinner Dissapointment - Gardein's Tuscan "Breast"


!!!UPDATE: Read this first!!!! For an update on this review head here http://veganguineapig.blogspot.com/2009/11/gardeins-tuscan-chicken-breast.html

Howdy Vegan Mofoers! In case you’re just tuning I’m in the middle of a ridiculously hectic week of test, papers, quizzes, etc. The latest tally is one test down, one paper turned in and a quiz and test ahead of me tomorrow and somehow I’m still maintaining a small shred of sanity. As I mentioned earlier in the week right now if a meal takes more than 10 minutes to prepare it isn’t happening around the Guinea Pig household so I thought this would be a great time to try all those new pre-packaged meals and meal starters I’ve seen pop up around my grocers freezer and refrigerator section. First up was Gardein’s Tuscan Breast in tomato and basil sauce. The box proclaims all you need is rice or salad and you’ve got a meal in 2 minutes. How could I refuse with such an enticing box?!

I’m not a huge fan of the microwave so instead of zapping it for 2 minutes in the microwave I decided to use my full 10 minutes of allotted time to prepare dinner and opted for warming the “breast” on the stovetop then grilling it for about 1 minute on each side to give it a bit more texture. The Tuscan breast on the box looked like it was doing a dead-on impersonation of actual chicken while the Tuscan breast in front of me was gray. I thought the grayness would fade while I was cooking but it stayed throughout the cooking process. When it comes to world of faux meats you learn to be ready for anything so I wasn’t completely turned off by the gray food sitting in front of me just yet. It smelled good, and a quick taste of the tomato and basil sauce was promising. I made a hearty green salad with some homemade balsamic vinaigrette and was ready to sit down for a delicious meal in less than 10 minutes. Unfortunately, that’s not what happened. These breasts were horrible. I mean awful. I mean disgusting. I literally became ill at the thought of taking another bite somewhere around bite two. I had to throw it away outside so I didn’t have to smell it anymore as even the smell started to nauseate me. This is definitely going on my rare DO NOT TRY list. I ended up resorting to an Amy’s Burrito for dinner (always a good back-up) after I brushed my teeth twice and gargled with salt water to get the Tuscan breast taste out my mouth. I’ve got one more Gardein product sitting in the fridge waiting to be tested – let’s hope it doesn’t disappointment me as much as this one did.

21 comments:

  1. Thanks for stopping by my blog. Sorry about your dinner disappointment. I've had to resort to some Amy's Burritos in a pinch; they were a fave while I was pregnant and still are.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Maybe you should have made the rice... :) Seriously, this "food" sounds awful. Good luck with the remaining quiz - and the remaining Gardein product!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I bought those once when I had a really worky weekend coming up and figured I wouldn't have time to cook...I was similarly unimpressed. It renews your appreciation for stuff like chickpea cutlets, doesn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Desdemona! What I would do for some chickpea cutlets right now! If only they could magically make themselves. When I get a break I'm goin to make a big batch and freeze them so I can have them at times like this.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Just goes to show how different tastebuds are. I generally abhor processed meat analogs, but could actually handle and enjoy these breasts. Granted, I microwaved them after cutting them up and not following the directions on the package- I did it on medium heat, slowly, and covered. Afterwards, a bit of extra garlcy tomato sauce on top added an extra oomph, but it barely needed it, they were moist, not at all grey, and eerily flavorful and well textured.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I just saw these at Vons & got excited to try them. I'll save my $6! Jackie

    ReplyDelete
  7. I tried gardein's BBQ pulled shreds, literally one of the most disgusting things I've ever eaten. I just couldn't get past the texture, and the sauce was awful. I decided to try Lightlife's Smart BBQ instead, and it was absolutely phenomenal. Gardein's got some work to do if they ever want to catch up to Lightlife!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I cut this up into little bits and made a fantastic "chicken" soup out of it. I liked it that way. I probably would have been less impressed if I hadn't read such great press about it.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I tried the Buffalo Wing variety of Gardein and they were "ok"... the texture was a weird spongey type thing... kinda icky & def NOT worth the price. I like my tempeh wings WAY better so I will likely not buy these again. I too have another Gardein in the fridge - BBQ Skewers... I have been avoiding cooking them.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Surprisingly Gardein's "stuffed chicken breast" version I tried was good (similar to the ones they sell at Trader Joes); I just microwaved them in the bag. I haven't tried these but they sound just awful...

    ReplyDelete
  11. The plain "chick fillets" are fabulous if they are dredged in flour with salt and peopper and sauteed. I served them to meat eaters and nobody knew they weren't chicken. Oh, I dried them with paper towels and then sort of flattened them a little with my hand to make them thinner before I prepared them. All the other gardein products stink.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Oprah just did a segment with her fave vegan chef (of the moment), Tal Ronnen, and heavily promoted the Gardein product. All of my omnivore friends called me to get my opinion and I said I never heard of it. I forgot I read about it FIRST on VGP! Since Oprah liked it, I was going to get it, but now that I re-read the review, hmmm, don't think so! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  13. Did not like the Tuscan chicken breasts but just had the bbq skewers (beef) and they were AMAZING!!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Just made the Gardein beefless tips for dinner. My husband and I both agreed we won't be eating them again. They were very mushy and had an odd flavor. I don't think we'll be wanting to try any other products from this line after reading the other reviews. I'll stick to my Quorn and Morningstar Farms.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Been a veggie for over 20 years - just tried the tuscan breasts today and thought they were fantastic! I can't understand why people are reviewing them so poorly! I will definately eat them again and am so happy i discovered them

    ReplyDelete
  16. To each their own; both my BFF and I love this product. I do cook it in the microwave - and put it between two slices of bread for a 'chicken sandwich"!

    ReplyDelete
  17. For everyone leaving comments. There is a big bold update at the top of the post. Pleas read the update before commenting. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Any comments that are left in which it is clear you did not read the update to this blog post first will be deleted. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I've tried quite a few of the Gardein products and I am in love! I'm very glad that you were alerted to the bad batch and gave them a second chance because there are days that I literally could not live without Gardein Tenders or Scallopini. It's just so hard to find quick vegan meals where I live and, while they are/were good, Morningstar and Quorn aren't vegan for the most part.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had these last night and they were horrible. Like the poster said, I couldn't even force myself to keep eating after bite 2.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...