One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Saturday, October 3, 2009

Roasted Root and Gourd Soup


There’s this great little urban farm in East Point, GA called Truly Living Well that has incredible organic produce. I’ve been meaning to check it out for awhile and finally had the opportunity to stop by last week and pick up some of fruits and veggies. A huge basket of butternut squashes was calling me by my first, middle and last name so I had to go over and get a few. I’ve never worked with butternut squash before but have always wanted to. I have at least 10 recipes that involve butternut squash scrolled down in my little recipe notebook or on a one side of an envelope or as a note in my blackberry always reminding me to try it one day.

I thought the easiest way to experiment with butternut squash for the first time was a soup, but I didn’t want to make just another butternut squash soup so I decided to mix up a few things and thankfully it all turned out well or I would’ve spent nearly an hour of my life roasting roots and gourds for nothing. I decided to make what I call Roasted Root & Gourd Soup with roasted sweet potatoes, butternut squash and carrots with minimal, yet bold, seasoning so I didn’t take away from the flavors of my fresh from the farm roots and gourds. Although I’m still tempted to add a little bit more ginger I’ll leave that up to you. If you feel like playing around with the dish a little more other spices that might go well with it are allspice and cinnamon. Oh and did I mention it is also soy and gluten free? Cause it is! But without further ado…here’s the recipe:

Roasted Root and Gourd Soup
Makes 6-8 Servings


1 large butternut squash, halved and seeded (about 3 pounds)
2 medium garnet sweet potatoes, halved (about 1 ¾ - 2 pounds)
2 medium carrots, peeled and quartered
1 tablespoon canola oil
1 ½ cups rice milk
2 cups vegetable stock (I use Swanson)
¼ cup light brown sugar
¼ teaspoon ground ginger
½ teaspoon ground nutmeg

Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.

Arrange quash, sweet potatoes and carrots flesh side up on a baking sheet covered with foil. Lightly brush canola oil over the vegetables. Roast for 45-55 minutes or until tender (you can easily stick a fork into the flesh). Carrots might be done a little earlier so check on them around 20 minutes.

Once vegetables are roasted scoop out the flesh of one side of the butternut squash, one carrot and one sweet potato and add to a blender. Puree with ¾ cup rice milk until smooth and transfer to a medium stockpot or Dutch oven. Puree with remaining vegetables with the last ¾ cup of rice milk and transfer to the stockpot.

Stir in vegetable stock, brown sugar, ginger and nutmeg over medium heat and cook until just warm (about 10 minutes). Ladle into serving bowls and enjoy!

4 comments:

  1. I'll definitely have to try this. I love all of those orange roots and squashes and think this soup will make my taste buds very happy.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Alicia,

    I received your beautifull cookbook last week! I have made a couple of recipes that turned out great!!

    One thing on your blog: do you know that there is ad for fish sticks on your blog? Maybe you do not mind, but I thought of mentioning it to you.

    Congrats on your amazing !!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for letting me know Anonymous. There's not supposed to be ads for anything with animal products on my blog so I'll report this ASAP!

    P.S. I'm so glad you like the book!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Different Anonymous, but there is also an ad for cheese crisps too:-( I am about to go make this soup for lunch!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...