One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Wednesday, April 2, 2008

Amy's Kitchen Non-Dairy Burritos

I feel like it's been ages since I posted last. Work, school and writing the cookbooks has me busier than ever. Because of this I've been eating a lot of on the go meals that take only a couple minutes to heat up and are most importantly portable. My new favorite on the go meal is Amy's Kitchen Organic Beans and Rice Burrito.


When it comes to those store bought freezer section burritos I tend to steer clear. They have always tasted like a mix between paper maché and sand (don't ask me how I know what either of those things taste, like i just do). Honestly, I wasn't expecting anything better from Amy's Beans & Rice burritos either. I've had hits and misses with Amy's. I love their black bean enchiladas and in my vegetarian days loved their cheese enchiladas. Amy's pizza's were always kinda good but not something I would crave (more to come on Amy's vegan pizza in another post).




Thankfully, this burrito turned out to be one of those hits, and thank God because I was starving the day I fished it out of the freezer. For all you vegetarians and omni's out there you won't miss the cheese I promise. In fact, these burritos somehow sneak in a subtle cheesy taste. More importantly they are incredibly filling, 1 is enough for an entire meal. They are relatively low in calories (280) and high in fiber(5g) and protein(9g) with no saturated fat. They are also a soy free alternative to most of the grab and go meals that contain some sort of soy.


As far as price goes it varies dramatically. At my neighborhood conventional grocery store they were $1.99 and at Whole Foods they were $2.69. Basically they are about double the price of a Taco Bell bean burrito without cheese but they are way more filling, are organic and if you stock up you don't have to leave the house to get them.

1 comment:

  1. I love those Amy's burritos, too! I "discovered" them a couple months ago, and I always try to keep a couple in my freezer to pack for lunch if I'm light on leftovers.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...