One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Sunday, October 25, 2009

Homemade Taco Seasoning Mix

I swore by one particular brand of store-bought taco seasoning mix until one day I turned it over, looked at the ingredients, and realized that it was laden with MSG. Needless to say my heart was broken. In the middle of a major taco craving, I took whatever I thought might go into a taco seasoning mix and threw it together. Thank God it turned out right the first time or I would’ve eaten just the taco shell that night.

Taco Seasoning Mix from Quick and Easy Vegan Comfort Food
Makes 1/3 cup

3 tablespoons chili powder
1 teaspoon garlic powder
1 teaspoon onion powder
¼ teaspoon cayenne pepper or red pepper flakes
2 teaspoons paprika
2 tablespoons ground cumin
1 teaspoon sea salt
½ teaspoon pepper

Mix together all the ingredients in a small bowl. Store in an airtight container.

4 comments:

  1. I'm going to give this a try!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Is this spicy? I could reduce the amount of cayenne and chili powder for the kids if it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Ivy! It's not too spicy. The recipe makes 1/3 cup and I use about 2 tablespoons for tacos so it's definitely not that spicy. Hope you like it!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this - most of the taco kits come with a spice mix that contains chicken products - so this is very helpful!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...