One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Sunday, October 11, 2009

Gimme More Gimme Lean Breakfast Sausage!

I have searched high and low for the best breakfast sausage that money could buy since going vegetarian back in ’02. Some pretty good options have come my way over the years, my favorite was the now discontinued Publix vegan sausage patties followed by Tofurky’s Breakfast Links while Lightlife’s Smart Links ran a very distant third. I’d seen Lightlife’s Gimme Lean Breakfast Sausage for years but nothing really drew me to the thought of sausage in a tube, the idea just seemed a bit gross to me. Sure, the picture on the package looked great but don’t they always look great? Well I had a coupon for $1 off Gimme Lean sausage so I thought, what the heck, might as well give it a try. This was, hands down, the best decision I have made for myself this year – hands down. I have never, ever, in my entire lifetime tasted a breakfast sausage so damn good! It is perfection. I can’t believe I ever doubted it and that I spent almost 29 years of my life without this glorious sausage in it.

I can assure you that Gimme Lean will never leave my side from this day forward. I bought three more tubes yesterday just so that I can be sure to never go without it. The taste isn’t the only dynamic thing about Gimme Lean Sausage its nutrient profile is fantastic. Only 60 calories per serving, fat free, low in sodium and high in protein. Trust me, you need this in your life.



15 comments:

  1. I agree 100%. Gimme Lean is one of the few vegan sausage "patties" available in my area and it is GREAT!

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh yeah. gimme lean is IT. that stuff is so good. I don't buy it often, but it is really really tasty and it really hits the spot. mmmmmm. now i want some.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Granted, it is good but have you tried Match Meats breakfast sausage? Truly the best Vegan meats out there!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Patty sausage is one of the things I've missed, and I haven't yet found a perfect one. I keep meaning to pick up a tube of this, but, as I don't eat a proper breakfast very often, I can't ever justify it in my budget. But now I want some. BAD.

    This whole plate just looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  5. i think you might like greenerfolks.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. I adore Gimme Lean sausage. I eat them all the time, and they go great along side a wide variety of dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I recently tried Yves brand veggie sausage and it was great. I stuck it in a biscuit!! Now, I want to try the gimmie lean now though!

    ReplyDelete
  8. By far Gimme Lean sausage is the best out there....tastes like real pork sausage patties...amazing....

    ReplyDelete
  9. Like Ken, I'm a huge fan of Match Meats. I think they're hard to find but well worth it!

    Also love Field Roast Grain Co. sausages...truly delicious, and their Celebration Loaf can't be beat.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I have been dying to try Gimme Lean for so long, but haven't been able to find it anywhere (where I'm from there isn't a large vegan communittee). Does anyone know of an online shopping store or a chain of stores that sell gimme lean.
    Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Just tried this today and it is really amazing! Mixed it into a frittata recipe and if I hadn't made it myself, I would have never know that it wasn't beef or pork. Excellent product!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I like the fat free patties. Do you have fat free links, burgers??

    ReplyDelete
  13. Used it in stuffing. It was vegan but everyone said it was the best stuffing at the Thanksgiving dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  14. If you add some fennel seed and red pepper flakes to it, it adds to the flavor and ITS HEAVEN!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. This IS the best non-meat sausage ever. However, after hearing a rumour from a friend that "Gimme Lean workers were on strike", and that our favorite breakfast place was not serving it. I decided to do some reasearch. I found Gimme Lean, owned by Lightlife, was acquired by ConAgra Foods back in the 90's. Look it it up if that kind if stuff is important to you.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...