One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Tuesday, October 6, 2009

Quick & Easy Chik’n Curry

After years of being wary of Indian food I’ve finally decided that it’s time to give it a chance once again. I find the best way to learn to like something is to make it yourself and so I decided to start with a simple vegan chicken curry. Typically I’m not a fan of Morningstar brand products (because there is egg in so many of their products) but I do fancy Morningstar Chik’n Strips and they are great to keep in the freezer when you’re in a culinary pinch and don’t have a ton of time to whip up some homemade chik’n seitan or any tofu in the house.

They lent themselves perfectly to my quick and easy Chik’n Curry recipe and made my first experience in the world of Indian cooking a fantastic one. Unfortunately, this chik’n curry was so delicious that I accidentally ate nearly all of it before it occurred to me that I should have taken a picture of it to show you fine folks. But just imagine it to be beautiful, golden strips dotted with golden raisins atop a bed of brown rice with a little curried cauliflower and potatoes on the side. Just in case your imagination isn’t that great here’s the recipe for you to try it for yourself!

3 tablespoons flour
½ teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon cayenne
8 ounces Morningstar Chik’n Strips Meal Starters, defrosted
2 tablespoon canola oil
1 tablespoon curry powder
½ small onion, sliced thin
2 garlic cloves, minced
1 cup vegetable stock (I use Swanson)
1/3 cup golden raisins
1 ½ tablespoons ketchup
Oil for Frying

Combine flour, salt and cayenne in a shallow dish or large plastic Ziploc bag. Add chik’n strips and toss to coat. Deep Fry for about 1-2 minutes or until golden brown and crispy.

Warm oil in a medium sauce pan over medium heat. Add onion and garlic and cook for 2-3 minutes or until onions become tender. Add curry powder and stir until onions are coated. Stir in vegetable stock, raisins and ketchup. Cook for 5 minutes then add chik’n strips and cook until sauce has thickened. Serve over brown rice.

1 comment:

  1. Mmmm this sounds good. If you've never tried the spinach and chickpea curry from Vegan with a Vengeance then I HIGHLY recommend it.
    :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...