One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Monday, October 6, 2008

Vegan Mofo: Chorizo Empanadas (Field Roast Mexican Chipotle Sausages)


As a California girl (born and raised) I am a sucker for any and every type of Mexican food. The traditional Mexican empanada is usually served as a dessert or breakfast dish but when I saw Field Roast's Mexican Chipotle Sausages I couldn't resist turning them into savory and spicy empanadas. I'm working on making an official recipe but basically the filling is just sautéed Mexican Chipotle Sausage (or soy chorizo) with chopped tri-color bell pepper, about 1/2 cup of red onion, a little garlic and the empanada dough of your choice (there are tons of recipes online for dough).

Field Roast's Mexican Chipotle Sausages are an amazing addition to any traditional Mexican dish. To date I've had them in tacos, burritos, nachos, enchiladas, tamales and taco salads. Each sausage has 23 grams of protein and only 250 calories. A little goes a long way, it only takes 2 sausages to make 24 empanadas, 1 to make about 6-8 tacos, and 2 to make about a dozen tamales. These sausages are now are permanent staple in my kitchen and I'm constantly experimenting with new ideas. My next project will be to veganize the Chorizo Style Breakfast Quesadilla on the Field Roast website and in honor of Vegan Mofo I will post the pictures and recipe here as soon as I do.

6 comments:

  1. I haven't had an empanada in ages! Must get on this ASAP.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds like this might be the winner for the potluck Ashley!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Mmmm. Those empanadas look luscious. I can't wait for the offical recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. The Field Roast Mexican Chipotle Sausage is one of my family's favorites! I also use it in Cajun type dishes for spicy fried rice and sometimes I even mix it is with scrambled tofu. The taste and texture of this product is perfect!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love empanadas. I made them only once, but froze most of them to have later. I have to make them again soon.

    thanks for the product review on the sausages. I haven't tried that flavor yet.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...