One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Monday, April 27, 2009

Just In Time For The Spring/Summer: A Review of Natural Deodorants

Transitioning to a vegan lifestyle, for me, was about doing what was right for the animals, my own health and the environment all at the same time. I started investigating the ingredients in not only everything in my kitchen cupboards but also in my medicine cabinet and bathroom drawers. I discovered there were a lot of scary ingredients lurking in many of the skin care products I was using including my deodorant. Then one day I came across this startling statistic Over 60% of what you put on your body goes in your body. Meaning that the ingredients in your lotions, deodorants, perfumes, etc. actually are absorbed into your body tissues far beyond just your skin. Deodorants and lotions have even been found in biopsied breast tumors (although there is no link between the two it does illustrate that what you put on your body goes in your body).

The more research I did the more important it became to me that the products that I put on my body were natural, free of preservatives, dyes, aluminum and a most importantly their ingredient list doesn’t read like a chemistry textbook. Over 3 years of testing I have come up with a list of some of my favorite and least favorite natural deodorants. I tend to use different ones based on the season as some are better at masking the stench of a southern summer than others.

I also polled the good folks over at the PPK to see what their favorite and least favorite natural deodorants were and the reviews were definitely mixed. Check out their perspectives for the best and worst natural deodorants.


Favorites:
Earth Science – Liken Plant in Herbal Scent *** this is my all time favorite. It offers complete protection even when the heat index is hitting 100 and the humidity is 70%. The scent is close to a baby powder scent so it isn’t over powering. It is also long-lasting so you don’t have to reapply it all day. This was the PPK runner up.

Jason – Tea Tree, Aloe Vera, Herbs & Spice, Wild Yam. As a product line I love Jason’s natural deodorants. They have a great line of unisex scents that are long lasting and smell great.

Tom’s of Maine – Calendula, Honeysuckle Rose, Apricot (long lasting and regular) Calendula and Honeysuckle rose are my two favorite scents from the Tom’s of Maine line. I’m still not in love with the smell of apricot on me but I’ve actually received compliments about how great I smell when I wear it so I keep using it. My only problem is that in the summer you tend to have to reapply them several times a day, even if using the long-lasting variety. This was also the folks of the PPK’s favorite and least favorite natural deodorant. I think it largely depends on the scent you are looking for, or if you’re looking for a scent at all.

On the Fence:
I have trouble saying that these scents and brands weren’t good because I think it came down to body chemistry more than anything else when trying these deodorants. They smelled great in the package but after wearing them for about an hour I absolutely hated the smell. But I still think they are worth a try and will probably go well on you, it just depends on how your body chemistry reacts with the natural scent.

Earth Science – Tea Tree/Lavender

Thai Crystal – I have personally never tried this one but the folks on the PPK forum either raved about it or said it was the worst thing they ever tried. So I’m putting it in the on the fence category. Personally, since I’ve been through so much trial and error I can’t say that I’m going to try out the crystal but please let me know your experience if you do!



Duds:
Jason – Naturally Fresh. I didn’t understand the concept of a scentless deodorant but I decided to give it a try anyway, just in case there was something I was missing. Well I wasn’t missing anything. This is nothing more than a moisturizer for your armpits. Since I have it around and it takes years to expire I just use it after I shave under my arms as a moisturizer at night but never when I’m actually looking for odor control.

Tom’s of Main – Unscented. I had the same issue with this as I did with Jason’s naturally fresh. I just don’t see the point.

Alba – Tea Tree. The smell starts off good but once you start to work up a sweat this stuff turns from the scent of the gods to the hind part of Satan within minutes. This one was almost unanimously hated on the PPK by all who had previously tried it.

UPDATE!!! CHECK OUT MY LATEST REVIEWS ON NEW AMAZING NATURAL DEODERANTS HERE

7 comments:

  1. I don't remember posting in that thread, but sometimes, the only thing that works for me at all is herban cowboy's deodorant.

    (and I'm one of those that tom's of Maine doesn't work for.)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for this!

    I am about to chuck my Secret and move toward something better, and this is really helpful!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I used to use a deodorant that was lavender, sage and lemon oil. It smelled really fresh and nice. I think Burt's Bees makes it, though. There isn't any beeswax in the product itself, but I'm not sure how you feel about the company itself. I need to find some more natural deodorants, as most commercial brands make me itch!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I thought I would throw my two cents in about Thai Crystal. If you don't apply it right, it doesn't work...BUT, if you take the time to slather both your armpits and the skin surrounding them, this is the best thing EVER!! I run regularly AND live in Houston, which is horribly humid. I get better protection from Thai Crysal (the stick) than anything else I've tried. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Florere Vegan Deodorant Stick is, by far, the best out there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I use Avon's liquid deodorant. It's lemon, oil and alcohol. Seems like I should be able to make that.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...