One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Restaurant Review: Govinda's To Go Philadelphia, PA

No trip to Philadelphia is complete without a visit to Govinda’s To Go. I was on the hunt for a good vegan chicken philly cheese steak and I was pointed straight to Govinda’s To Go. What no one told me was that, if you don’t come in with willpower of steal, you can leave Govinda’s To Go at least 5 pounds heavier. The only thing that saved me was that I gave up sweets for lent, but trust me the next time I head to Govinda’s I’m preparing a 10 mile run before and after so that I can eat at will, guilt free.


Not only did Govinda’s have the best chicken cheese steak I ever tasted but they also managed to make me a partial fan, or I guess I should say less of a skeptic, about the infamous ham tube. I just might invest in a ham tube of my very own after my omni friend declared that it was delicious in Govinda’s version of a ham and cheese hoagie.


But Govinda’s To Go is more than just great sandwiches they have an amazing assortment of vegan cakes, cheesecakes, tortes and pies. Not to mention 7 flavors of vegan ice cream, including my all time favorite butter pecan. And just when I thought that was enough I noticed a box of vegan donuts of every flavor on the counter. If there was ever a test of my ability to stick to my lent sacrifice then this was it. But somehow I made it out of there without a bite of one of these tasty treats.


Here is a complete list of their menu offerings:


Sandwiches:
Chicken Cheese Steak
Pepper Steak Sandwich
Kofta Sub
Ham & Cheese Hoagie
Grilled Vegetable Sub
Chicken Salad Sub
Zucchini Melt
Chicken Burger (single or double)
Chicken Quesadilla
Fish Sandwich

Burritos & Wraps:
Chimichanga
Tuna Salad Wrap
Sabji Warp
Burger Lovers
Ham & Egg Salad
Seafood Salad Wrap
Golden Tofu
Sloppy Joe

Soups:
Yellow Split Pea
Chicken Salsa
Soup of the Say

Sides:
Fried Shrimp, Scallops or Chicken
French Fries

Desserts (selection may vary, I saw a couple one’s there that were not on the traditional menu):
Brownie Cheesecake
Cookies and Cream
Coconut Vanilla
Boardwalk Fudge
Lemon Zest Key Lime
Chocolate Peanut Butter
Chocolate Strawberry Torte
Donuts

Vegan Ice Cream:
Butter Pecan
Cookies and Cream
Cherry Vanilla
Pistachio
Strawberry
Chocolate
Vanilla

8 comments:

  1. hey, you visited on donut day. was that yesterday? i thought donut day was wednesdays.

    next time you come up, try the tuna wrap. it's soooooooo good! mmmm.

    (the ice cream is supplied by klein's kosher and the desserts are from vegantreats)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You totally blew my cover. I write most of my blog articles weeks before I post them. I actually went on a Friday afternoon and the donuts were "fresh" so it looks like they might have more than one donut day now. Thanks for hte info on the vegan desserts and icecream!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I really like Govinda's. My boyfriend is especially fond of their fish sandwich, though I haven't tried it yet. I LOVE all the Vegan Treats stuff they have but haven't made it over there on donut day yet. Funny, I love donuts more as a vegan than I ever did before! Voodoo Donuts in Portland can do that to a girl.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is one of my top three favorite restaurants in philly, and that is a strong statement! go-go-go-govindas.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love Govinda's! I'm a big fan of the regular cheesesteak and also the shrimp. My Omni mom, who is very skeptical and picky, even thought they were pretty good.

    If you get out to Bethlehem, PA, you should go directly to VeganTreats and try their softserve and many other delightful baked goods.
    Danielle

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ooh, this makes me so excited! I'm going to be moving to the Philly area next week, and I can't wait to go here now :) (although even after reading your review, I am VERY wary of this ham tube..I always hated ham).

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm late to comment, but originally from the SF Bay Area and now in Philly. When you come back, I'd definitely recommend Sweet Freedom Bakery (right next to Govinda's and Vegan/Gluten/White Sugar Free and SOOO GOOD!!). Also worth checking out: Su Xing - around 17th/Sansom, Loving Hut (a Vegan Chain but with different menus in different areas) - 5th(?)/South, Blackbird Pizzaria (completely vegan pizza with Daiya and also VeganTreats) - 6th/South. -Ellesse

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...