One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Wednesday, December 19, 2007

How to Make A Vegan Part 2: The PPK.com & Vegan with A Vengeance

So now I’m a vegan. I became a member of the local vegetarian co-op and I suddenly realized there is a whole vegan hot bar at Wholefoods (I have since realized this is not the case everywhere). I start to veganize all my favorite recipes and then I run into a little snag. What do I use instead of eggs? Isa to the rescue! On the theppk.com (that’s post punk kitchen for you newbie’s) I found answers to that question and then some, and there forum’s are sooooo helpful! It seems like they are just full of people waiting to talk about whatever is going on in your vegan brain. So, of course, after practically printing out every page of the website I had to get Vegan with a Vengeance, which should basically be handed to every new vegan. It wasn’t my first vegan cookbook but it was the first vegan cookbook I actually cooked out of (I tend to be a bit of cookbook collector). I knew that Isa and I must be a match made in heaven when her carrot raisin muffin recipe almost mirrored my own. My all time favorite recipe of Isa’s is her Mango Ginger Tofu.

It’s definitely a recipe for people who love to cook, it has a lot of moving parts but it also was my confirmation that vegan food is good food not just tofu in a box. I’ve subsequently bought all of Isa’s books and still lean on her forum’s for support when I need it (ok, I’m on them everyday, I’m addicted!)

You can also watch her show, The Post Punk Kitchen on the website or from Isa’s myspace page. Other highlights of the PPK are: vegan ice cream (ridiculously easy), vegan sushi, and of course there’s a blog on the PPK too.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...