One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Thursday, November 6, 2008

Papa Chorizo Frittata: The Recipe

As you may or may not know this little Guinea Pig has been working on a cookbook for over 3 years now. I finished my first one in February ’08 and am currently in the process of getting it published (which takes a whole lot longer than I ever imagined!) In the meantime I have started to work on books number 2 & 3. Unfortunately there are no frittata or omelette recipes in my first book but there will be in books 2 and 3. But instead of making you wait another 2 years for either one of those books to come out I’m going to go ahead and release one of the favorite recipes now (by popular demand).

Note: If these pictures seem a bit familiar it’s because I blogged about this recipe during Vegan Mofo (I just failed to provide the actual recipe that went with it)

Frittata:
24 ounces extra firm silken tofu
2 tablespoon nutritional yeast
3 tablespoons potato starch
½ teaspoon stone ground mustard
1 teaspoon salt
¼ teaspoon turmeric
½ teaspoon onion powder

Combine all frittata filling in a blender and blend until smooth. Pour into a large bowl and set aside.

Filling:
3 tablespoons canola oil
2 red potatoes cut into ½ inch cubes
½ cup white onion, diced
1 clove garlic, minced
1 link vegan chorizo, crumbled (I pulse in a food processor for about 30 seconds)
¼ cup chopped roasted red peppers
2 tablespoons flat lead parsley, chopped

Preheat oven to 375 degrees F

In a large sauce pan heat warm oil over medium to medium high heat. Add potatoes and onion and cook until potatoes are tender (about 8 minutes). Add garlic and chorizo and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Turn off heat and stir in roasted red peppers and parsley.

Stir filling into frittata mix.

Lightly oil a 9 inch spring form pan or a quiche pan. Pour frittata mix into pan and bake for 35-45 minutes or until filling is firm and you can run a clean toothpick through it.

Allow to cool for 10-15 minutes. Remove frittata from pan and serve. (Can be served warm, room temperature or cold)

8 comments:

  1. Thanks for the recipe! I'm definitely trying this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. woohoo! this is exactly what i want to do with a half package of veggie chorizo i've got hanging out in the freezer. thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't know that about the recipe book (being a new blogger an' all that). How exciting!!!
    This recipe looks totally fab!
    Thank you.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. this looks so good. thanks for the recipe & good luck with your books!

    ReplyDelete
  5. this looks great. I love frittata!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I made this today for a friend who came over for brunch, with some homemade vegan chorizo based on the seasonings from Have Cake will travel's chorizo recipe and it was soooooo good. SOOOOOO goood! My tastes for savory things tend toward the sweet (and vice versa) and I may add a hint of agave next time...Thanks for the great recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It looks good ! I'll try it soon :)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...