One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Tuesday, November 11, 2008

Vegans Guide to the Universe Part 5: Egg Replacer 101

After 4 years of being a cheese-obsessed vegetarian I finally went vegan. It wasn’t hard taking the cheese out of my diet, mainly because after 21 days without it I no longer had a taste for it, but it was hard to figure out how to replace eggs. All of a sudden it seemed like everything I made needed eggs in some way shape or form.

After a good deal of trial and error, Google searches, triumphant tries and complete culinary flops I finally came up with a working list of egg substitutes for nearly every recipe.

Baking (1 egg equivalent):
¼ cup unsweetened applesauce + ½ teaspoon baking powder
¼ cup pureed soft silken tofu (plain)
1 tablespoons ground flax seed simmer in 3 tablespoons water
2 tablespoons water + 1 tablespoon canola oil + 2 teaspoons baking powder

Scrambled Eggs:
1 pound firm or extra firm tofu, drained and crumbled – find your favorite tofu scramble recipe and you’re off!

Quiches, Omelettes and Frittatas:
Firm of Extra Firm Silken Tofu should be used in place of eggs. Popular Recipes are the Papa Chorizo Frittata, Susan V.’s Vegan Omelette for One and Susan V.’s crustless Quiche

Ener-G Egg Replacer is also an excellent choice for replacing eggs in baked goods. 1 ½ teaspoons + 2 tablespoons warm water whisked together equals 1 egg. 1 box has over 113 servings! So it’s a great low-cost way to replace eggs in baked goods.

2 comments:

  1. My daughter is allergic to eggs, and stuff with egg in it (mayo, etc.) While we're not vegan, I have moved to using the flax seed meal in just about everything that asks for eggs, as well as applesauce for oil, which makes things healthier as well. Thanks for the other suggestions!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi there! I just found your comfort food book at the library, and I think it's awesome! I'm now dropping hints to my fiancee about buying me a copy. Glad I found it right on time for Xmas!

    I wanted to let you know about an egg replacement I started using on accident, but it seems to work for baking. Unflavored soy yogurt. I was in a pinch one night and just grabbed it. I don't have the measurement down yet. I use "a tablespoon and a bit" in place of each egg. But it really seems to work, and you can't taste it in the finished product.

    Your book rocks!

    Lincoln
    Seattle

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...