One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Friday, January 13, 2012

So Pricey Yet So Delicious Greek Style Coconut Milk Yogurt

A belated happy new year to all of my wonderful readers! I have had a fantastic hiatus from blogging taking care of my new baby girl and am finally getting a chance to return to both my blogs and share great recipes and reviews with you again.

First up is So Delicious brand Greek Style Coconut Milk Yogurt. If you've made it past the title of  my review on So Delicious Coconut Milk traditional style yogurt then you know I love this stuff but, years later, I'm still debating if it's worth the pricetag and that's where I find myself with this new greek style yogurt. I've never had cow's milk greek yogurt (and never will) so I have nothing to compare this to as far as it's authenticity to being a true greek style yogurt. I can say that I have tried all the flavors that my Whole Foods had on the shelf and with every flavor I didn't so much as taste the fruit that was flavored them but a tartness that permeated through every spoonful. It wasn't an awful tartness, just a tartness. And the tartness didn't stop me from eating it. I'm just assuming that greek yogurts are more tart than traditional styles. What I love about this new greek style yogurt is that it is really high in fiber (8 grams), lower in sugar than the traditional style, and also has the good stuff like calcium, vitamin D, and B 12 without being high in fat.

Of course, at $2 a cup this won't be something I eat everyday, or even every month. I wish the price would come down on both lines of So Delicious coconut milk yogurt. I would eat this stuff everyday if it did. But $2 for 6 ounces of yogurt is just ridiculous. It cost me more to buy the 4 flavors of yogurt that were available at my Whole Foods than to eat a full meal at my favorite restaurant. That being said, if you happen to win the lotto in the next couple of weeks So Delicious Greek Style Coconut Milk Yogurt is a great investment, if not then I'd say give it a try if it's ever on sale or there's a coupon.

8 comments:

  1. I wait until it goes on sale & then clear the shelves! It freezes decently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i love with this product!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think I might have to try this! My coworker at work was all about some Greek yogurt and how good it is, but of course it wasn't vegan.

    ReplyDelete
  4. There's a big organic coconut shortage right now, so I doubt the price will come down any time soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree, love this stuff! I convinced myself that I HAD to try it, even at the $2 price tag, because it seems the world is inove with Greek yogurt. I had to know what all the fuss was about (: my favorite yogurt is still Amande almond milk yogurt

    ReplyDelete
  6. I really like the vanilla flavor because it compliments the naturally tangy and sweet taste of the yogurt base. It does freeze well too and makes a nice creamy & icy dessert treat! But I dislike the other flavors because it seems like they are trying to mask the natural taste and it compromises both flavors.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How long can you freeze it for? And when you unfreeze it does it still taste the same? I would mostly purchase it for using to cook with but wasn't sure on the freezer life. Thank you.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...