One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Monday, January 3, 2011

Poblano Chickpea Patties by Moo Moo’s Frozen Meals

My experience with Moo Moo’s Sweet ‘N Spicy Curry Tofu was less than favorable too put it mildly. I spent a week giving Moo Moo’s Poblano Chickpea Patties the stink eye in my freezer as I grazed on leftover BBQ Baked Beans and frozen veggies. Finally, one rainy afternoon I mustered up the courage to pop these patties in the oven and just get the whole thing over with. The patties were much larger than I expected and didn’t looked to be pre-cooked at all which was a disappointment as I was expecting a crispy patty. I popped them in the microwave for 5 minutes, let them cool then took a bite. They certainly weren’t the worst things I had ever eaten yet not the best. As I suspected the patties were far from crisp and were, in fact, really mushy with the corn mix underneath them being their saving grace. Thankfully this was an easily remedied problem. I simply popped each patty in the convection oven broiler for about a minute on each side and they came out nice and crispy with just the right moist center. Then I added a little homemade salsa and voila! The perfect meal. The sodium content on these patties is pretty high (510mg) but the calorie count is low at 230 calories for the entire meal. I might get these again to keep around if I’m in a pinch or I ever find a coupon for them. The calorie count alone makes it pretty great even with the high sodium. But with so many other great vegan frozen food options popping up every day I can’t guarantee that this will be a staple in my freezer.

2 comments:

  1. Those look really good. I try to avoid meat and dairy as well. I like eating vegan and healthy. I am glad I found your site!

    Have a happy and healthy New Year!
    Charlot :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had the chickpea patties tonight, cooked in conventional oven, and they were disgusting. They were soggy with no taste other than the paprika on top of them. The corn salsa was okay, but that was not the main part of the meal. I felt cheated. I can certainly make a tofu dinner that would have topped this!

    Joy Marshall

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...