One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Tuesday, January 11, 2011

Homemade Potato Bread

I haven’t had potato bread since going vegan, I’m not sure if a vegan version exist commercially so I was ecstatic to see not one but two recipes for potato bread in The Bread Lovers Bread Machine Cookbook by Beth Hensperger. One version calls for you to bake and mash your own potatoes and the other calls for instant potato flakes. Beth seemed pretty in love with the instant potato flakes version so I chose the quick route and went with the recipe using instant potato flakes. Here’s my veganized recipe for Potato Bread using a bread machine:

 
Potato Bread
Makes 1 ½ pound loaf

½ cup water
2/3 cup almond milk
1 ½ tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
1 ½ tablespoons agave nectar
2 ½ cups bread flour
1/3 cup instant potato flakes
1 tablespoon gluten (optional)
1 ¼ teaspoons salt
2 ¼ teaspoon bread machine yeast

Place all ingredients in the pan according to the order in manufacturer’s instructions (usually liquids on bottom, solids on top) be sure not to put the potato flakes and the liquids close together as he flakes will absorb the liquids too fast and change the outcome of the finished product.

Set the crust on medium and use the basic white bread cycle (do not use delayed start for this bread).

When the baking cycle ends immediately remove the bread from the plan and place it on a rack to cool. Allow to cool to room temperature before slicing.

2 comments:

  1. I am having so much fun making things from your cook books.
    I also love making bread in the bread machine. This is the bread that I make many times a week:
    Our Daily Bread
    1/2 C Water
    1/2 C Oat, Soy or Almond Milk
    1 Egg Replacer Egg (I use Ener G)
    3 C Bread Flour (sometimes I use 2C bread Flour and 1 C Wheat Flour)
    2T Milled Flax Seed
    1T Vital Wheat Gluten
    1.5t salt
    1T Olive Oil
    2t Bread Machine Yeast
    I bake on light - Remove when complete and cool on rack. Sometimes this cools before the family makes me cut it up. Perfect for sandwiches. My kids won't eat store bought bread. They want mama's bread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gauri Radha गौरी राधाFebruary 18, 2011 at 1:25 AM

    That sounds delicious!!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...