One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Tuesday, January 18, 2011

Book Review: Garlic-Onion-Beet-Spinach-Mango-Carrot-Grapefruit Juice by Nathalie VanBalen

Garlic-Onion-Beet-Spinach-Mango-Carrot-Grapefruit Juice, now say that five times fast. On second thought maybe that isn’t the best idea, I just tried and confused myself by try three. This might sound like the contents to possibly the worst cup of juice ever (try kissing your significant other after taking a big gulp of garlic and onion laced juice) but in fact it’s the name of Nathalie VanBalen’s new children’s book featuring a fuzzy little monster name Thora who lives with two birds, Zwee and Geep and most importantly two Vikings, Aksel and Krog.


Garlic-Onion-Beet-Spinach-Mango-Carrot-Grapefruit Juice is a children’s book unlike any other. It made me laugh out loud from the first page and if you’re not afraid to look a bit like a fool for the sake of a child’s smile then you’ll love acting out all the parts of this book and jumping full force into the adventures of this unlikely group of friends. The book is a mix of illustrations and photos. The photos are of the main characters on their adventures, but the kicker is the characters are dolls being propped up by very visible hands throughout the book. At first I thought it was a little odd but slowly but surely I found that it just added to the cuteness factor of the book. Let’s face it, there’s few things as endearing as a big hairy arm holding up a little stuffed animal. The only criticism I have of the book is it’s length. It was a marathon for me to get through when I read it to a group of kids to see how they would like it for this review. As with most children’s stories the more animate the reader the better the story but by the time I was finished reading Garlic-Onion-Beet-Spinach-Mango-Carrot-Grapefruit Juice I was an exhausted pile of mush on the floor with children jumping up and down on me like a bean bag chair. 

 Garlic-Onion-Beet-Spinach-Mango-Carrot-Grapefruit Juice  is $20 and can be purchased at Thorathinks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...