One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Tuesday, March 31, 2009

Soy Free & Gluten Free Vegan Mac & Cheese

For over a year now people have been raving over Allison Rivers Samson’s Mac ‘n’ Cheese recipe featured in VegNews magazine and now featured on VegNews website. It has been hailed by VegNews as the best mac ‘n’ cheese on the planet, and while I wouldn’t go that far I have to say that it is one amazing vegan mac & cheese recipe and one that I come back to time and time again.

What most people don’t know is that the recipe is actually an adaption of the Unprocessed Cheez Sauce in the Ultimate UnCheese Cookbook by Jo Stepaniak which I used as a template for the mac and cheeze recipe in my upcoming book Vegan Comfort Food. So hats off to Jo for inspiring so many great mac and cheese recipes!

Although I really enjoy Samson’s recipe I still wanted something a bit more creamier and to be soy free and gluten free. I also wanted to take down the number of ingredients and steps that Samson used in the original recipe to make it an even more user friendly recipe. So here’s my twist on this now famous vegan mac & cheese recipe.


8 ounces brown rice macaroni or spirals
1/3 cup canola oil
1 cup peeled Yukon gold potatoes, chopped
¼ cup carrots, peeled and chopped
1/3 cup white or yellow onion, chopped
1 cup water
1/3 cup raw cashews
1-2 teaspoons sea salt
1 clove garlic, chopped
¼ teaspoon Dijon mustard
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
¼ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/8 teaspoon cayenne pepper
2 tablespoon breadcrumbs, optional

Prepare brown rice pasta according to package directions (minus one minute of cooking time). Drain and set aside.

While pasta is cooking combine potatoes, carrots, onion and water in a small sauce pan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, cover and simmer for 10-15 minutes or until vegetables are tender. The smaller you cut the vegetables to less time it will take to cook them.

In a blender add cashews, garlic, Dijon mustard, lemon juice, black pepper, cayenne pepper and cooked vegetables with their water. Process until completely smooth.

In a large bowl toss cooked pasta with blended cheese sauce until completely coated. Spread mixture into a lightly oiled 8x8 inch casserole dish, sprinkle with bread crumbs if using. Bake for 30 minutes or until cheese sauce is bubbling.

11 comments:

  1. Hey Joselle, It's coming out October 2009. You'll definitely start hearing more about it as the date approaches.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi! So glad you enjoyed my recipe and put your own twist on it; it's great to see the versatility of it and your creativity. When I make this for my fam, we use tinkyada (my fave brand!) brown rice macaroni and gf bread for the crumbs. Jo is a great friend of mine and an inspiring pioneer in the vegan movement. I love her!
    Good luck with your cookbook. :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks Allison...BTW your vegan caramel is addictive! Hence why at nearly 10 o'clock at night I'm on my way to the gym. Gotta burn off that bag of caramel! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have made Allison's recipe (with my own variations) so many times now! Love it, and love the idea that there can be so many veggies in this mac n cheese- great for picky kids... and adults alike!

    I like adding carrots and red bell peppers to mine :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh red bell peppers sound so good! I've been thinking of taking down the pasta a little and adding some brocolli and maybe even chickpeas to make it a casserole. Red bell peppers would be an excellent addition as well! Thanks for the idea DJ Karma.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I'm with ya on the caramels, Alicia!! So glad you like them too. :) Have you had the toffee? Both caramels and toffee were big favorites of mine (Skor Bars were the best!) before going vegan so I'm ecstatic to have them back after all these years. And I may be biased, but I think ours are WAY better and since they're made with ultra pure and compassionate ingredients, I feel fine about my little indulgence. If you haven't tried the toffee, don't hate me when you become like me and can't get it and the caramels out of your mind. Ok, now I've even enticed myself and need to sign off so I can go get a nibble from my stash. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I had this recipe for Christmas dinner...as i am on a soy free, gluten free diet. I burned it just a little, but it was still amazing. I can't wait to try it again when i'm minding the clock. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know this is an older post, but I love this mac and cheese recipe. I love it! I've made it maybe 5 or 6 times now, changing it up a little bit every time. I'm allergic to dairy, so this dish is like a little miracle. I took it to a "vegan party" and it was the hit of the table! People were all over me asking what kind of fake cheese I used. I've never been that person before! So thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I made this last night....it was a big hit....Thank you sooooo much for sharing!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I am looking forward to try this recipe but have noticed that the ingredient list calls for 1/3 cup oil. I don't see where the oil is added in the directions except to oil the bowl for baking. Please clarify where the oil really goes. Thanks so much.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...