One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Monday, July 6, 2009

Boca Chik’n Patties and Nuggets


It seems that almost all my life I have been eliminating one form of meat or another from my diet. As a kid it was pork, as a teenager beef and during my senior year in college I temporarily gave up chicken for Lent. It’s funny how those little things we do, that don’t seem to mean much, change so much of your life. While on my 40 days and 40 nights without chicken I decided to try out the mock chicken products that I had started seeing in the frozen foods section.

I picked up a couple packages of Boca Chik’n Nuggets and Chik’n Patties. At this point, chicken had been the only meat in my diet for nearly a decade so I knew chicken pretty darn well. But I was open to trying something new while chicken was temporarily out of my life. From the first bite I was amazed. It was better than the real thing! For the first time ever I actually contemplated going vegetarian. Within 3 months I had taken the plunge and was a full fledged, card carrying vegetarian. All thanks to these Boca Chik’n Nuggets and Patties. That was over 7 years ago. Now as a vegan I am so excited to hear that all Boca will be egg free by January 2010! For now as long as it’s in the red box it’s most likely vegan (but do a quick check on the side of the box and it will let you know for sure). For Boca Burgers there is a specific vegan burger, also in the red box.

As I said earlier, it’s been 7 years since I first went vegetarian and although I do love me some Chik’n Patties and Nuggets every once in awhile I like to change it up. I created these Vegan Mock Crab Cakes from my beloved Boca Chik’n Patties. Give them a try if you’re looking for something new.

2 comments:

  1. thanks for the tip about Boca going egg-free! :-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. the only meat my kids really truly like is sausage and chicken nuggets so I will HAVE to give these a try!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...