One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Sunday, February 15, 2009

Almond-Licious Ice Supreme Raw Ice Cream

The world of vegan ice cream has come a long way in the past 5 years or so. There’s an ice cream for every taste, allergy/sensitivity, or nutrition concern. Rice -based ice cream, soy-based ice cream and frozen yogurt and even coconut-based ice cream. But there is a new kid on the block and its Raw Ice cream also know as Almond-Licious Ice Supreme.

What sets Ice Supreme apart from all the other vegan ice creams out there? It’s raw, soy free, rice free, gluten free, free of refined sugars, has a low glycemic index, is trans-fat free and has zero preservatives. The ingredients list showcases its pure and simple ingredients: water, almonds, cashews, raw agave nectar, raw vanilla bean and Himalayan salt. With just this handful of simple ingredients the makers of Ice Supreme were able to make a rich, smooth, creamy and decadent ice cream in strawberry, chocolate, vanilla and pecan (which taste just like butter pecan). Out of their four staple flavors the strawberry and pecan are my absolute favorites! I haven’t had anything that even taste close to butter pecan ice cream in over 4 years and to my knowledge Ice Supreme is the only vegan ice cream brand to make this flavor. In addition to their staple flavors Ice Supreme also has seasonal rotating flavors that are available on their website.

Currently Ice Supreme is available at Whole Foods, various co-ops and health food stores throughout the Atlanta Area as well as Alabama, South Carolina, North Carolina and Tennessee. But no worries, if you don’t live in any of these areas you can have Ice Supreme delivered right to your door! Check their website for more details.

While Ice Supreme is one of the best ice creams I have ever had it does have one Achilles heel and that is the price. In retail stores it averages about $7.50 a pint and for online orders it is nearly $10 a pint. However, because of the low glycemic index and use of ingredients like almonds and cashews, having only about ¼ cup of Ice Supreme is more than enough to satisfy any sweet tooth without leaving you feeling like you need to eat the entire pint in one sitting (which is also great for your waistline). Despite the price I highly recommend trying this amazing product. No freezer should be without at least 1 pint of Ice Supreme.

1 comment:

  1. It sounds good but you too can make your own raw ice cream from just frozen bananas raw almond and or cashew butter and raw agave nectar. I used to make this all the time.. it is yummy even my non-v family enjoyed it. But if I see this in my local store I sure will give it a try. I do LOVE purely decadent ice cream with the coconut milk even though I dislike coconut -milk, pulp, water etc. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...