One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Saturday, June 14, 2008

Restaurant Review: Lov'n It Live East Point, GA

When most people think of raw foods they think of salad, baby carrots and those little fresh vegetable trays that are at every party. Lov'n it live ( 2796 East Point Street, East Point, GA 30344) has set out to change that mindset. Instead of baby carrots and boring salads Lov'n it live serves up a menu of lasagna, tacos, nachos, battered "fried" cauliflower, pizza, chicken strips, sun burgers, apple pie and even ice cream. And it is all raw, all vegan and most importantly all good for you.

There are four basic premises to the raw food "movement". First, raw foods contain live enzymes that aid in digestion and other metabolic processes. Heating foods above 118 degrees Fahrenheit destroys many of these essential enzymes. Additionally, over-processing and cooking certain foods also destroys the vitamins within them. Secondly, eating food that is devoid of these essential enzymes makes digestion more difficult because the body has to work hard to produce it's own enzymes, which deplete over time. It is believed by some that this could lead to toxicity in the body, and cause excess food consumption leading to weight gain (obesity) and all the health "baggage" that comes along with it. Thirdly, as eluded to before, raw foods are believed to have a higher nutrient and mineral composition than cooked food. Last but not least the food is just incredible and the fact that it is good for you makes it even better. I can say from personal experience that even though being vegan makes me feel energetic and alive eating Raw is an amazing experience. When I eat raw I not only feel more energetic and alive but I feel like my body is working in perfect harmony, it's an exhilarating feeling.


Lov'n it live turns the philosophy of the raw foods movement into reality in a brilliant and flavorful way. Even their salads are masterpieces. I crave their kale salad with marinated kale, fresh tomatoes and avocado. And I can't say that I've ever had anything on their menu that I didn't like. I hate mushrooms and even though their chicken strips are made out of mushrooms I still devoured them in record time.

They have a rotating menu of specials depending on what is fresh and in season and everything is organic. As an added bonus the majority of their produce comes from local growers so you can support local organic farmers while eating increidble food. I highly recommend the battered cauliflower, nachos or spaghetti for any first timers. You won't be disappointed.

As much as I love Lov'n it live they do have 1 Achilles heel, timing. Everything at Lov'n it live is made to order. The only items that are ready made are the flax crackers or other types of "breads". Making food to order means that there is a considerable wait time. I live about 10 minutes away and usually get my food to go. I either call my order in 30 minutes before I leave the house or give my order at the restaurant then run some errands. The average wait time is between 30 and 45 minutes for call in orders. If you prefer to dine in order multiple courses and try their Irish moss shake or fresh raw sorrel ( both are available to go as well). When ordering in I always start with and Irish moss and kale salad so while I'm munching and sipping my food is being prepared and I'm not sitting there starving.

The chef's at Lov'n it live also offer raw preparation classes so u can prepare the same amazing dishes at home. The classes are custom built around your schedule and you get hands on experience and knowledge. I've already mastered the art of raw lasagna, nut cheeses, and desserts but I would take this class just to learn how to make their battered cauliflower, raw Jamaican patties, and the raw cheesecake (you read right...CHEESECAKE!).


Timing aside, you won't be disappointed with Lov'n it live. It was my first dive into raw foods and although I've since been to raw food restaurants all across America I can still say that Lov'n it Live has the best raw food I've ever tasted.

7 comments:

  1. Wow. Sounds unusually creative for a veggie spot. I'm dying to know how the vegan raw Jamaican patties turn out. I've tried to do vegan Jamaican patties and wasn't too thrilled with the results...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oops. I meant, "creative for a raw veggie spot."

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am happy that you did a review of this place b/c I it's been on my radar for quite some time now....must go now for sure as it sounds appetizing.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks for this review. Somehow this restaurant slipped under my radar (I normally keep my eye out for any vegan restaurants in the area). I'll give it a try soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I love your review and would like to repost it on my website. I would link to your blog and give proper credit.

    my blog add right now is
    http://eastpointneighbors.blogspot.com/
    soon to be just eastpointneighbors.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Of course you can J.M. Let me know when you post it. I'll set up a link on this end as well.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is by far the best Raw Vegan restaurant in the Metro Atlanta. The Tostado salad, the Stuffed Avacado, House Salad, Sweet Potatoe Pie and much much more. You wil not regret the wait or the price. The vibe is good karma.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...