One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Thursday, April 24, 2008

IZZE Sparkling Juice (Vodka's Perfect Mate)


Once again, the Chicago Diner has struck! On my second night in Chicago I went back to the Chicago Diner for a Portobello Chicken Cesar Wrap, Mac and Cheese and French Onion soup. I eyed the Izze and Vodka combo on the menu the first time I visited the restaurant but it was only around 11:30am and I thought it was a bit too early for a cocktail. But now it was 8pm and cocktail hour was upon me. So I ordered up a Pomegranate Izze and Vodka.


Previous to this experience I already had an unnatural love for Izze. Being the economical girl I am I had already been mixing fresh juice with pelligrino for sometime. But Izze brought flavors together that I could never concoct in my own kitchen and Izze's flavors were 1000times better than anything I had come up with to date. Izze comes in Sparkling Pomegranate, Blueberry, Clementine, Grapefruit (surprisingly sweet), Apple, Peach and Blackberry. The first 4 are my absolute favorites. The great thing about Izze is that, unlike soda's that claim to be "natural" Izze actually is natural. With 70% fruit juice and 30% sparkling water. The price is also affordable and I've seen it everywhere from my co-op and Whole foods to Target and Starbucks.


Although Izze and Vodka are best friends it is great on it's own and I have to admit I have a growing addiction. I've had to switched to canned Izze to control my consumption (which is great because the average can of Izze ranges from about 70-90 calories). So drink up! Izze is low in calories, actually has real fruit juice in it and no crazy chemicals and unpronounceables on the bottle. And if you enjoy your Izze with a little vodka just remember to drink responsibly.

7 comments:

  1. Yum, Next time I'm in the store I'm buying this.

    I'm so excited for your cookbook!

    ReplyDelete
  2. First, thanks for taking the time to respond to my comments on Isa's thread (about the vegan cupcakes). I appreciate it.

    Second, I love the Pomegranite flavor - mixed with Sprite Zero is good - and you could have that as early as 7:00 a.m.! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I hate to sound like a stalker, but I just found your blog and as I was reading through all your entries, I put together that you might possibly go to Georgia State. I am going there starting this fall and will be majoring in Nutrition. I read that you were taking a nutrition class and was just wondering what you thought of it. I would appreciate a review of the college heh :-P just kidding! Keep up the great work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks Loveit! That's super sweet of you. Yes, I'm at GSU. The program is really good and I've only had to correct one professor about veganism and he actually brought out this really great presentation on our last day of class on the link between meat consumption, animal protein and 70% of cancers (his wife works for one of the cancer research institutes). Hopefully I'll run into you on campus! And don't worry I don't think you're a stalker...unless that's you across the street with the binoculars ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. The Clementine is so good. I have never thought about it in cocktail..hmmm...

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I had the peach one the other day...sans vodka! Deeelish!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Have you ever tried Kristian Regale? It is a sparkling juice that is sold at Ikea (on account of it being from an old Swedish recipe.) I like it on its own but apparently it also makes a great Vodka companion! http://www.kristianregale.com

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...