One of the hardest parts of being a new vegan (or even an old seasoned vegan) is trying to keep up with all the new products out there. I must have spent over $50 looking for the "right" vegan cheese my first year being a vegan and I have over 50 vegan/vegetarian cookbooks in my arsenal but not all the recipes are the greatest. I’m the first born so I’m used to being a Guinea Pig and now I’m your Vegan Guinea Pig. So here are my recommendations and critiques. Let me know what you think!

Saturday, June 20, 2009

Coconut Bliss - 7 Minutes in Ice Cream Heaven

It's official. Coconut is the new soy. Everywhere you turn there is some new hot coconut based product. Coconut ice cream, yogurt, milk and even coconut flour. Luna & Larry have thrown one more hat into the coconut crazy ring with the addition of their Coconut Bliss line of dairy free, soy free and sugar free ice creams. I must admit as I tried each one of their 8 flavors and slipped into a soft, happy, place somewhere between the feeling of a 2 hour massage and sleeping on a bed of soft feathers (faux feathers of course. Down is so not vegan!), I started to feel like I was cheating on Purely Decadent's Coconut Ice Cream. I started to wonder how I would explain myself to you guys. How I could go from loving Purely Decadent's Coconut Ice cream more than newborn puppies to being lost in a sea of love and emotion over Luna & Larry's Coconut Bliss. But then it all came to me. You can love them both equally and feel unashamed.

Coconut Bliss and Purely Decadent Coconut Ice Cream have 4 flavors in common: coconut, vanilla, chocolate and mint chocolate. But they also each have 4 unique flavors as well. So you can try Coconut Bliss' Cappuccino, Cherry Amaretto, Strawberry Lemon Love, or Chocolate Hazelnut Fudge while still being able to enjoy Purely Decadent's Cookie Dough, Mocha Almond Fudge, Passionate Mango and Chocolate Peanut Butter Swirl (I've also seen a snickerdoodle flavor out there once but only at Cosmo's Vegan Shoppe).

So you see, there's enough coconut ice cream love to spread around between both brands. And this summer my freezer will be well stocked with a little of both. Ice Cream party anyone?!

Update: June/July 2009 Coconut Bliss is adding 3 new flavors to their arsenal. Chocoalte Peanut Butter, Naked Almond Fudge and Pineapple Coconut. I can't wait!!!!

7 comments:

  1. I love the vanilla Coconut Bliss flavor. Topping it with vegan granola makes me so happy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay for coconut!! I have tried the Chocolate Purely Decadent Coconut Ice Cream and it was so delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the shout outs on Bliss! We appreciate it. :)

    Just a quick note however:

    * Luna & Larry established their business (coconut ice cream), and invented this category way back in 2005.

    Thank you for updating your article about the new flavors as well.

    Enjoy your "Bliss"--whether it's from Coconuts or not.
    :)
    -Vince at the Bliss Mothership, Eugene Oregon

    ReplyDelete
  4. Yum, I love coconut milk ice cream but I haven't dared to venture away from Purely Decadent Coconut Ice Cream yet. I am seriously in love with their cookie dough flavor. Thank you for the review.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I have been enjoying Purely Decadent for more than 20 years. I think they make the best non-dairy ice cream. Their soy is great, but their coconut milk ice cream is off the chart incredible. I've also eaten Coconut Bliss, and sorry Vince, I gotta say that Purely Decadent blows it away.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I've tried a few flavors of Bliss and it is quite good but I definitely prefer the So Delicious Coconut Ice Cream. I love the Mint Chip. From my experience, nothing compares.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ya I agree - I've tried both but prefer the So Delicious/Purely Decadent - it's less sweet.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...